If you identify as a:
- First-year B.Sc. student who is looking to declare a major in a Cognitive Systems B.Sc. stream → The application procedure for the Cognitive Systems B.Sc. specialiaations is coordinated by the Faculty of Science, through a central on-line application process. B.Sc. students who are entering second year will receive an e-mail regarding this process in late May or early June, but are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the application process and specialiaation prerequisites during their first year. You can find more information about this process here. In short, this is not the correct application form for you.
- B.Sc. student who is looking to switch into the B.Sc. Computational Intelligence and Design stream → Please contact the Computer Science Department directly.
If you identify as a:
- >=2nd year B.A. student who is looking to declare a major in a Cognitive Systems B.A. stream
- Student who has a different major but would like to switch into a Cognitive Systems stream in the same Faculty as their current major
please keep on reading.
- If you are a >=2nd year B.A. student who is looking to declare a major in a Cognitive Systems B.A. stream
If you are applying to the Cognitive Systems Program for 2021W (September 2021) entry, you must meet the admission requirements and apply by 12:00PM (Pacific Time) May 15th, 2021.
Applicants will be notified by June 15, 2021 whether they have been accepted or rejected.
- If you are a student who has a different major but would like to switch into a Cognitive Systems stream in the same Faculty as your current major
“Internal transfer” students (students who already have a declared major in the Faculty of Arts or the Faculty of Science) have the option for admittance to COGS at two points in the academic year. We offer a mid-year intake to internal transfer students, in which accepted students will gain entrance to the program for 2020W Term 2 (January 2021).
If you are applying to the Cognitive Systems Program for 2020W Term 2 (January 2021) entry as an internal transfer student, you must meet the admission requirements and apply by 12:00PM (Pacific Time) November 30th, 2020.
Internal transfer applicants will be notified by December 21st, 2020 whether they have been accepted or rejected.
- With the exception of the Computational Intelligence and Design stream (CPSC stream), admission to Cognitive Systems specializations requires students to have successfully completed (i.e. received a passing mark for) at least 27 credits. Application inquiries regarding the CPSC stream should be directed to Computer Science Advising.
- Students should not apply until they have second year standing and have completed:
- (a) COGS 200 and six credits of courses in any of PSYC, LING, PHIL, or CPSC, or
- (b) Nine credits of courses in any of COGS, PSYC, LING, PHIL, or CPSC.
You cannot satisfy this requirement with courses all of which were taken in the same department. (So, for example, CPSC110, CPSC121, LING100 is permissible; CPSC103, CPSC107, CPSC121 is not). Nor can this requirement be satisfied with courses that were taken on a Credit/D/Fail basis, unless those courses were taken in 2019 Term 2, during the semester which was disrupted by the measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
Selection for admission to the program is based the student’s average in all of the courses for which they have been awarded a percentage grade by a post-secondary institution (this includes failed courses). Courses taken on Cr/D/Fail basis do not count towards this calculation. Up to 12 credits may be excluded from the calculation, provided that:
- the excluded credits do not come from courses taken in COGS, CPSC, LING, PHIL, PSYC, and STAT, and
- the grade point average, after these exclusions, is still based on at least 18 credits of UBC course work.
Note that credits can only be excluded at a course level, i.e. you cannot exclude 3 credits out of a 4-credit course.
Unsure whether you meet the admission requirements? Use the self-assessment tool below to find out:
Internal Transfer Applications for the January 2021 entry are now open,
and will close November 30, 2020 12:00PM PT.