Before proceeding, please confirm that you are following the correct application pathway:
This is the correct application pathway for you. Please continue reading.
This is not the correct application pathway for you. The application procedure for Cognitive Systems B.Sc. specializations is coordinated by the Faculty of Science, through a central on-line application process. B.Sc. students who are entering second year will receive an e-mail regarding this process in late May or early June, but are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the application process and specialization prerequisites during their first year. You can find more information about this process here.
This is the correct application pathway for you (unless you wish to switch into the CPSC stream). Please continue reading.
Note: if you wish to switch into a COGS stream offered by a different Faculty than your current major, you will first need to transfer into the appropriate Faculty. Contact your Faculty's advising office for more information.
This is not the correct application pathway for you. Please contact the Computer Science Department directly.
- With the exception of the Computational Intelligence and Design stream (CPSC stream), admission to Cognitive Systems specializations requires students to have successfully completed (i.e. received a passing mark for) at least 27 credits and have reached a minimum of year 2 standing. Application inquiries regarding the CPSC stream should be directed to Computer Science Advising.
- Students should not apply until they have second year standing and have completed:
- (a) COGS 200 and six credits of courses in any of PSYC, LING, PHIL, or CPSC, or
- (b) Nine credits of courses in any of COGS, PSYC, LING, PHIL, or CPSC.
In either case (a or b), taking COGS 200 before applying to COGS is strongly recommended, but not mandatory.
You cannot satisfy this requirement with courses all of which were taken in the same department. For example, CPSC110, CPSC121, LING100 is permissible; CPSC103, CPSC107, CPSC121 is not.
You also cannot satisfy this requirement with courses that were taken on a Credit/D/Fail basis, unless those courses were taken in 2019 Term 2 (which was disrupted by measures mitigating the spread of COVID-19).
Unsure whether you meet the admission requirements? Use the self-assessment tool below to find out:
Because there are a limited number of seats available in the Cognitive Systems Program each year, satisfying the minimum prerequisites for application does not guarantee admission into the program.
Selection for admission to the program is based on the student’s calculated average in all of the courses for which they have been awarded a percentage grade by UBC (this includes failed courses, and both UBC-V and UBC-O courses). Courses taken on Cr/D/Fail basis do not count towards this calculation.
The program will automatically exclude up to a maximum of 12 credits provided that:
- the exclusion increases the student’s average,
- the excluded credits do not come from courses taken in COGS, CPSC, LING, PHIL, PSYC, and STAT, and
- the grade point average, after these exclusions, is still based on at least 27 credits of UBC course work.
A note for transfer students: if your transfer credits are on record but you do not have 27 percentage-grade credits recorded, your UBC admission average will be applied as the percentage for any remaining credits required for the calculation.
If you are applying into the Cognitive Systems Program for 2024W Term 1 (September 2024 entry), you must meet the admission requirements and apply by 11:59PM (Pacific Time) May 15th, 2024.
If you are accepted into the program, you will be notified by email no later than June 7, 2024. You will be asked whether or not you accept the offer of admission into your chosen Cognitive Systems stream, and a deadline to confirm acceptance will be specified in your email. We will not be able to certify you as a Cognitive Systems major until your reply is received. Please make sure to check and respond to your offer email. Students not admitted to the program will also be notified by email.
Applications for the Cognitive Systems specializations (with the exception of the B.Sc. Cognition and Brain stream for year 2, and B.Sc. Computational Intelligence and Design stream for all years) are submitted to the Cognitive Systems Program directly via the Cognitive Systems Application Form, whether you are declaring your specialization for the first time, or have already declared a specialization and wish to switch. In order to submit your application, please follow these instructions:
- Check that you meet the admission requirements detailed above.
- Fill out the online application form below (available during intake periods only).